About the West Alameda Business Association
The West Alameda Business Association (WABA) represents over 175 local businesses through its mission to promote and improve West Alameda via an active partnership of community and business. WABA is a nonprofit organization that supports and advocates for local businesses in the Webster Street Business District and the rest of West Alameda.
WABA actively works with City of Alameda staff in the Public Works, Planning, Community Development, and Economic Development departments to:
- See that the district is clean and well-maintained
- Attract visitors and quality businesses to West Alameda
- Review all permits regarding signs, building facades, etc. submitted by businesses located within the Webster Street Business District
- Evaluate programs that affect West Alameda such as the proposed changes to the AC Transit bus line 51A and the SMART Corridor Project to improve traffic conditions
We advance a growing and successful business environment by assisting with economic development, promotions, design guidelines & streetscape improvements, membership & organization, and other programs.
We do everything we can to help you succeed. Please join us!
The WABA Board of Directors and WABA committees are made up of dedicated volunteers working to achieve WABA’s mission in the revitalization of West Alameda. WABA volunteers consist of local business owners and/or managers, professionals from a wide variety of fields, and community members.
In addition, WABA is a member of Alameda’s Government Relations Committee comprised of local business members, local business associations, the Chamber of Commerce and the City of Alameda Community Development Department.
Economic Development Committee
Committee Chair – Sam Koka, SK Auto
Meets in the afternoon the 4th Wednesday of each month to:
- Strengthen existing businesses
- Look for growth opportunities
- Recruit new businesses
- Find new uses for traditional buildings
- Provide financial incentives
- Monitor economic health of district
Events and Promotions Committee
Committee Chair – Hiroko Donovan, 1400 Bar & Grill
Meets in the afternoon the 2nd Monday of each month to:
- Organize yearly WABA-sponsored Events: Wine & Dine, Halloween on Webster and Santa on Webster
- Assist local organizations with other occurring events: Alameda’s Earth Day Festival at Washington Park, Concerts at the Cove, Fourth of July Parade, Neptune Beach Community Celebration and more
- Coordinate business promotional offers to coincide with events
- Work with Event Sponsors to give them visibility, garner business and generate community goodwill
See Events page for dates and information on West Alameda events
Design & Streetscape
Committee Chair – Daniel Hoy, Architect
Meets in the morning the 2nd Thursday of each month to:
- Enhance image of Webster Street Business District
- Promote design awareness
- Facilitate storefront improvements
- Monitor signage regulations
- Provide uniform design guidelines
- Implement streetscape improvements (visual elements of a street, including the road, adjoining buildings, street furniture, trees and open spaces, which combine to form the street's character.)
The Webster Street Business District Design Guidelines address many aspects of the look/feel of the business district, as well as the individual business signs, store frontage, awnings and more. All businesses in the district must follow these design guidelines. Permits processed by the City of Alameda are submitted to the WABA Design Committee prior to approval.
The Webster Street Design Manual is available online
To obtain sign, planning, building, fire, engineering, and special projects permits, go to the City of Alameda’s permit web page
Membership & Organization
Committee Chair – Steve Case, Neptune Palace Hotel
- Sponsors WABA Mixers: Regular networking events to get to know your business colleagues
- Distributes updates via member-only communications about West Alameda and the Webster Street Business District
- Organizes fundraising efforts
- Develops member services
- Recruits and coordinates volunteers
Become a WABA Volunteer!
You can help West Alameda realize its full potential by becoming an active committee member or a volunteer. You may send an email to the respective committee chair by clicking on their name above or by using the volunteer sign-up form.